Thursday, November 15, 2007

disable autotune on vista for better network performance

I have found network performance awful with Vista. To make matters worse, it tells you the transfer speed while it's copying data on your network. How in the hell I am getting 500 KB/s transfer speed on a 100 Mb/s wired network?

I read that you can run this command:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

and it will disable autotune which is the cuplrit here. As with most things, I found a great description at Daniel Petri's site:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

update - Vista does copy files slowly, but after this I noted that it was copying over the wireless and not the wired connection. I'll never understand why, but some computers have the wireless connection prioritized above a wired connection. My next blog post will be about how to switch those settings.

No comments: