Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Connecting a Mac to a Windows 2003 file server (update)

After I finished yesterday's post, I thought about the File Services/Server for Macintosh. That is to enable the Mac to see the UAM volume via AFP, which is not helpful. I want the user to see the actual shares that the regular PC users see.

And then I came across this:
http://allinthehead.com/retro/218/accessing-a-windows-2003-share-from-os-x

It talks about the change you need to make to the Windows server to allow SMB access, which is of course what we want. I guess the reason that I was able to make it work in Windows 2000 and not able to make it work in Windows 2003 is this requirement for digitally sign communications.

I haven't tried this out yet, but I will be able to this afternoon and not update this post if it is successful.

No comments: