- Filemaker 10 is necessary on Windows 2008. Filemaker 9 is not supported (I tried and failed).
- If installing on 64 bit Windows (SBS or otherwise), install the 64 bit version of Apple Bonjour first (Bonjour is required and the FMS install tries to install the 32 bit version). Credit for that advice belongs here.
- You need to open ports 5003, 16000, and 16001 on the server for the clients to interact properly with the server
- Filemaker Server 10 can use any level of Filemaker Pro on the desktop end - 8, 9, or 10 (and presumably 7)
- Web publishing should not be used on your SBS box. SBS isn't supported by Filemaker - though it works - but even if you use it - the web publishing stuff will conflict with some of the IIS stuff that SBS uses
Monday, March 1, 2010
installing Filemaker on Windows 2008 SBS (or Standard)
I had quite an ordeal installing Filemaker Server on Windows 2008 SBS. I won't bore the people who don't care about my troubleshooting and just provide the relevant details: