Friday, April 12, 2013

SBS 2008 cleanup for low C drive space situations

I was looking for options for cleaning up an 80 GB C drive on an SBS 2008 server that had 4.5 GB free, and I came across this helpful article:

http://alloraconsulting.com/it-solutions/76-windows-server-2008-low-space

I was originally looking for options for reduce the size of c:\windows\winsxs which was 13 GB, but this post recommended against it.

I did two things to get me from 4.5 GB to 14 GB free.

First, I ran "compcln.exe" (which is a built-in utility on SBS 2008) and it cleared up about 1 GB of space.

Then I ran the logs clean up batch file as an administrator:


@echo off
rem Script to clean up disk space on SBS 2008 servers
rem Downloaded from SBSfaq.com
rem V1.0 - March 28th, 2010
rem Certificate Services Logs
net stop "Active Directory Certificate Services"
del c:\windows\system32\certlog\*.log
del c:\windows\system32\certlog\*.chk
del c:\windows\system32\certlof\*.jrs
net start "Active Directory Certificate Services"
rem IIS Log Files
Del C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\*.log /f /s

and it cleared up another 9 GB or so in my scenario.

No comments: