Thursday, March 9, 2017

Windows 7 not installing updates

As of March 2017, I rarely ever touch a Windows 7 machine anymore, but I did today, and the machine was checking for updates over and over again.  I googled and found a solution in my case (below).  The machine I was working on had installed updates in October 2016.  In general, I'd say my process for updating Windows 7 machines is this:

Install the convenience update if the most recent updates were older than April 2016

If the convenience update is installed, then I'd recommend these commands from an elevated command prompt:

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

No comments: