Sunday, March 29, 2015

mnh.winnermore.info adware removal

In Chrome on a client computer, each time she'd open a window, you could see the browser looking to the site mnh.winnermore.info for content.  This included when she'd click to reply to a message within her Exchange webmail.  There was no program in add/remove programs.  There were no extensions in Chrome.  Malwarebytes, rkill, adwcleaner, and all other cleaners I use found nothing.
This problem persisted in even a new Chrome user profile (same Windows profile).  I even searched through the registry and found nothing.  Eventually, I came across this site:
http://greatis.com/blog/adware/remove-mnh-winnermore-net.htm

Per the page above, the fix was to set Chome to default settings.  This worked.  I don't know how/why, but somehow this site embeds itself somewhere I couldn't find it at all.

No comments: