Monday, July 14, 2014

Moving Legacy X.500 addresses to Office 365 from on-premise servers

I migrated from SBS 2003 to Office365, but I didn't use one of the standard method.  I recreated the users in the cloud and impored PSTs via Outlook.  This works fine except for the problem with internal routing where internal addresses use X.500 addresses and generate NDRs when sending to internal staff.

This is a helpful article on using the NDR text to create the X.500 address, though I found its instructions not quite right.

In my case, I found a slight adjustment needed to make it work.

Let's say you're getting an NDR that says:

For the user jsmith, create a new Exchange email address with a type of X500 (no period in the type - it is X500 not X.500), and enter the value with adjustments as suggested by MS in the article above:
Replace any underscore character (_) with a slash character (/).
Replace "+20" with a blank space.
Replace "+28" with an opening parenthesis character.
Replace "+29" with a closing parenthesis character.
Delete the "IMCEAEX-" string.
Delete the "" string.
Add "X500:" at the beginning.

It looks like this.  It takes 5 to 10 minutes or so from when you add the email alias until it works, but it does work when you do it.

As an example, I turned this:

into this:

/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=e0c06d4eee7e4ec8b8a38d105ca7793c-joe

In the case above, I moved an Exchange mailbox from one account to another (via exporting the old mailbox to PST and importing into a new mailbox on a new account).

No comments: